Did you know that wearing suitable clothes for a workout can help us improve the effectiveness of our workout? Even the shorts that you choose to wear out on a run or during a workout is no exception.
Workout shorts may look like a simple and ordinary garment to some people. But don’t underestimate the power of the underpants as they can provide you with maximum freedom of movement that comes with a variety of styles.
In the hopes of making choosing the best workout shorts easier for you, here are some of the best pick items for you to consider.
“Fitness is not about being better than someone else… It’s about being better than you used to be.” –
Why is Choosing the Best Workout Shorts Important?
Upon reading the question above, you may ask yourself, “Why is the choice of clothes important, though?” The clothes you wear may not seem important to you or others, but wearing proper gym attire could actually have a large impact on the outcome and effectiveness of your workout.
Therefore, we should put some consideration into trying to pick out the best workout clothes. I swear, the feeling of being comfortable in what you wear while working out really helps me feel more involved in the workout experience.
Trust me, wearing your best workout clothes including your workout and running shorts will help you to get to your desired shape and get back on track in no time.
Reasons to Consider Why Choosing the Best Workout/Running Shorts Matters
In order to experience an effective workout, you first need to make sure you have the right workout clothes, including your shorts. So, why is this important and why does wearing the best shorts when working out matter?
Motivation, Comfort and Confidence
The feeling of being comfortable in what you wear in the gym while working out really helps a lot. If you’re wearing something, let’s say your shorts, that are too big or too small, or too tight for you, there’s a high possibility that you’ll lose your comfort. You may also experience chafing, or you may find yourself having to constantly be adjusting where your shorts sit on your body.
Not only that, but you may also lose the motivation to workout. Your motivation and how comfortable you are feeling are two important parts to your workout experience. Once you have the desired motivation and comfort, you are likely to feel more confident about yourself, which may in turn help you to perform a better workout.
What To Look For
There are a few factors to consider when looking for the best workout shorts:
- Length – the measurement of the length of the inner seam (short, medium, long).
- Comfort – the most important point to consider is how comfortable are the shorts, and will they have the same level of comfort when worn during vigorous exercise?
- Pockets – gym shorts with pockets can be essential for those who are looking at leaving the house to exercise without the need of a bag or a locker.
Here are the best materials that you should be looking for:
- Spandex – a stretchy material.
- Microfibre – a small synthetic fibres woven into a cloth.
- Cotton – comfortable against the skin.
- Cotton Blends – a combination of cotton and spandex.
- Nylon – a quick-drying, thin and lightweight fabric that is rip resistant.
Here are some of the best gym shorts types that you should definitely consider:
- Compression – these kind of shorts are designed with the goal of moderating your body temperature.
- Shorts with linings – if you build-up sweat like crazy, you may want to consider this type of short as the lining itself is intended to assist in keeping you ventilated over a long period of time.
- V-notch shorts – allowing more freedom and a larger range of movement, that sounds nice, right? If these are the types of shorts that you’re looking for, a v-notch short is perfect for your workout or running routine.
- Split shorts – these kind of shorts have the same features as the v-notch ones. However, instead of the V being part of the leg seam, the V shape is created as a consequence of the front panel overlapping the back. So if you’re looking for an increased performance, split shorts are perfect for you.
Workout Shorts Best Picks
There are so many types of gym shorts out there that are available for you to try, therefore we have listed our best picks here so make sure to check them out.
Compression shorts are similar to spandex shorts as they are made up of a special stretchy material that wraps up your skin fit. This kind of short not only provides you with extra support for your groin, thighs, and hamstrings, but it also helps to form your shape.
You may have already seen compression shorts worn by competitive male athletes such as triathletes and marathon runners as they commonly wear compression shorts. It is also believed that when worn after a workout compression shorts can help to reduce muscle fatigue, prevent strain, as well as lessen soreness.
Biking shorts are very similar to compression shorts, however, they can vary in a few different ways. Obviously, biking shorts are for recreational cyclists whilst compression shorts are for bikers who often take part in serious competitions such as Duathlon and triathlon.
One of the reasons why this kind of short is perfect is because they are mostly made of spandex fabric. Not only that, most of these shorts come with a layer of padding sewn into the saddle area to provide better comfort during long rides.
If you’re looking for a short that is made of wicking, light and breathable materials, regardless of the style, running shorts will definitely lead you on the right track. They are also perfect for working out as they can help to prevent chafing and bouncing.
All-Purpose shorts are usually a looser and more comfortable type of short and if these characteristics are present in a pair you are looking at, grab it on and hop into an all-purpose short. This kind of shorts is perfect, especially if you sweat a lot whilst doing your routine since they are made with synthetic fabrics that wick away moisture.
Also, a looser fit can allow you plenty of movement, but also consider that you need to choose a pair of workout shorts that are not too big during your gym session.
Whether you’re a beginner or not, we believe that owning at least a few high-quality pairs of short is essential. With that said, doing this will help you to get the most out of your workout.
Author Bio: Isabel Speckman is a North Carolina-based freelance writer and work-from-home mother of three. In her 10 years as a professional writer, she’s worked in proposal management, grant writing, and content creation. Her writing skills may be confirmed independently on Vivotion. Personally, she’s passionate about teaching her family how to stay safe, secure and action-ready in the event of a disaster or emergency.